Monday, December 3, 2012

The Wonder of Gouldian Finches


Ever wonder about beautiful birds? Well, you have wondered about a Gouldian finch then! A Gouldian finch looks like a Goldfinch with its colours. Some Gouldian finches have a black head, a green back and a purple breast. Gouldian finches are one of the brightest birds you will ever see.
Habitat: Gouldian finches live in an aviary. Gouldian finches wouldn’t be found in the wild. An aviary is a place where birds live. It is made from wood and wire. I have an aviary on my Balcony. My aviary is 6ft in width and 10ft in height. I have about 45 birds in my aviary. They have to be kept in heat otherwise they will die. They need to have a good spacious aviary.

Diet: Gouldian finches eat millet seed and normal finch seed. It costs 24euro for a four stone bag it lasts 4 weeks. Sometimes they eat lettuce and broccoli. Gouldian finches need to have their food and water changed every day.
Protection: The finches need to be protected from sparrow hawks, magpies, cats and other predators.Gouldian finches have up to six eggs at once and these eggs need to be protected too. The eggs als oneed to be kept warm.

I really ilike Gouldian finches and think they are one of the most colourful birds in the world. I hope to keep Gouldian finces when I am older like my Dad.

By Tyrek Doran

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know your Dad kept finches and I'd never heard of Gouldian finches before. This is a very good report, Tyrek; both informative and interesting.

    ReplyDelete